“CAMHPRO’s ABC’s of Advocacy” is a series of three webinars on the basics and details of how you can participate in the California community program planning process in a meaningful and effective manner. These three webinars are interactive through polling, questions and answers, and prompt you to take the next steps. These webinars also serve as recommended training prior to CAMHPRO’s local onsite six-hour workshop, “Delivering Your ABC’s of Advocacy” customized to the specific county where it is to be held (scheduled by request).
Audience: California stakeholders of public behavioral health policy and services: primarily consumers, and also family members, community based organizations, county staff and conveners of community program planning meetings.
Schedule of Webinars
Webinar A: Advocacy Basics
Tues., July 31, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- What is advocacy, who are stakeholders and why advocate.
- Consumer roots of the law, the Mental Health Service Act (MHSA) and regulations for Stakeholder involvement in planning mental health services.
- A bird’s eye view of who the County decision-makers are and how you can participate.
- Access to basic terms and acronyms used in Behavioral Health and where you can go to find county contacts.
Webinar B: Best Community Planning Practices
Tues., Aug 14, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- Types of County meetings and various stakeholder participation or roles
- Meeting mechanics, culture and etiquette
- MHSA stakeholder community planning best principles & practices applied to different stakeholder roles.
- What to look for in county budgets and plans.
- More resources to become a meaningful stakeholder
Webinar C: Community Planning; How to Work It
Tues., Aug 28, 2018 at 10:00 AM
- More on applying the MHSA community planning best principles & practices
- How you compose and give public comment.
- How you get on decision-making boards/councils.
- Next steps to being a meaningful stakeholder